Territorial Barons and Baronesses are the representatives of the Crown in their Barony. Upon their investiture, they are confirmed as the Baron and/or Baroness of (name of Barony).
• Upon the successful completion of their initial term of office, all Territorial Barons and Baronesses shall receive a Grant of Arms unless they already have one.
• Upon stepping down from their successfully completed term of office, Founding Barons and Baronesses may be styled as "Founding Baron/ess (name of Barony)”.
6.1 Duties and Responsibilities of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
In addition to those set forth in Corpora V B, Territorial Barons and Baronesses shall:
• Advise the Crown and the Great Officers of State on matters pertaining to their Barony and its people
• Represent and support the Crown in both word and deed to the people of their Barony
• Represent and support the people of their Barony in both word and deed to the Crown
• Attend Coronation and Crown Tournament or send a representative in the form of either the Baronial Seneschal or a Peer of the Realm
• Attend Curia Regis or send a representative in the form of either the Baronial Seneschal or a Peer of the Realm
• Recognize those of their Barony who they feel are deserving of Baronial Awards
• Recommend to the Crown those members of their Barony who they feel are deserving of Kingdom recognition
6.2 Residential Requirements of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
Territorial Barons and Baronesses must be a subject of the Kingdom of Atlantia by residence or treaty for the duration of the polling and their tenure.
6.3 Tenure and Renewal Terms of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
The initial term of office is hereby defined as three (3) years. Subsequent renewal terms are two (2) years.
• Territorial Barons and Baronesses may choose to step down prior to the expiration of their initial term. Should they choose to step down prior to the end of their initial term, this shall not constitute a successful conclusion to their term.
• Territorial Barons and Baronesses must notify the Crown of their intent to step down, prior to announcing it to the people of their Barony, and do their best to ensure a smooth transition.
6.4 Baronial Selection and Investing Royalty
The Royalty who will sit the throne at the time of the Investiture shall conduct and decide the results of the Baronial Polling or the Polling of Confidence.
6.5 Selection and Polling Requirements of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
The following procedure shall be followed for the selection of a Territorial Baron and/or Baroness:
• The Branch Seneschal shall provide a list of candidates to the Crown (or their Heirs), for approval. Candidates may choose to submit themselves as pairs or individuals for consideration on the Baronial Polling.
• Pollings shall list no fewer than two (2) candidates or pairs of candidates.
• Once approval is received from the Crown (or Heirs), and the Kingdom Seneschal, the Branch Seneschal shall provide a polling to each paid member residing within the geographic boundaries of the Barony as determined by the zip codes listed in the Atlantian database.
• The Branch Seneschal must provide the Crown (or Heirs), with a copy of the baronial label list received from the Society so they may validate returned pollings.
• Pollings will be conducted in accordance with the detailed process and procedure as defined in Kingdom Seneschal Policy.
• The completed individual responses shall be returned directly to the Crown (or Heirs). Polling responses shall not be collected locally in any fashion, nor shall they be forwarded to the Crown (or Heirs), via any third Party.
• Pollings must contain the respondent’s membership number, legal (modern) signature and have both legal and Society (if applicable) names printed in a legible fashion to ensure consideration.
• Pollings which fail to meet these requirements shall not be considered.
6.6 Membership Verification of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
Within ten (10) days of investiture or continuance in office, Territorial Barons and Baronesses shall present their membership information demonstrating their membership is current through their initial term of office to the Kingdom Seneschal for verification. Upon renewal of term of office, membership information must again be provided.
6.7 Service and Removal of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
All Territorial Barons and Baronesses serve at the behest of the Crown. Any Territorial Baron or Baroness may be removed from office during their tenure by the Crown, after soliciting a Polling of Confidence and notifying the baron and/or baroness in writing. The Crown may appoint a Vicar to serve until a new polling can be conducted.
6.8 Exclusion of Other Offices and Appointments of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
Territorial Barons and Baronesses may not serve in any office of the Seneschal, Exchequer, as Great Officers of State or as Officers of State during their tenure. They may hold other offices as long as all the duties of the Territorial Baron/Baroness and the requirements of the office are met.
6.9 Pollings of Confidence of Territorial Barons and Baronesses
The procedure for a Polling of Confidence shall follow the procedures laid out in the Kingdom Seneschal’s policy.