Effective November 2016
By the Grace of Their Majesties of Atlantia, Dietrich and Thora, the following document is an updated issue of The Atlantian Great Book of Law, which is an official publication for the Kingdom of Atlantia, part of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (SCA, Inc.) It is provided for your information and may be reproduced locally. In case of a discrepancy between The Atlantian Great Book of Law maintained by the Kingdom Clerk of Law, and reproduced copies or electronic versions, The One True Atlantian Great Book of Law held on the Kingdom web site and maintained by The Clerk of Law has precedence.
(c) Copyright (2016), Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. This document is provided for your information and may be reproduced locally. In case of a discrepancy between The Atlantian Great Book of Law kept by the Kingdom Clerk of Law, and reproduced copies or electronic versions, The One True Atlantian Great Book of Law held by the Clerk of Law has precedence. For information on reprinting letters and artwork from this publication, please contact the Chronicler, who will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors.
1.1 Compilation of Kingdom Law
The Atlantian Great Book of Laws, the compilation of Kingdom Law, contains all the current laws of the Kingdom of Atlantia. Only those laws listed here or enacted hereafter in the manner described below are in effect in the Kingdom of Atlantia. Any Corpora references cited in the Atlantian Great Book of Laws are based on the version of Corpora published June 11, 2009.
1.2 Requirements for Publication and Effect of Law
In accordance with Corpora IV F, laws must be proclaimed in order to take effect. Laws must be submitted for publishing as a newsletter addendum on the Kingdom Web site, at or before the Crown's last court to be valid. The law changes will not be published without electronic approval from the Crown. Law changes will take effect on the first day of the month listed on the Acorn cover in which the changes are published.
1.3 Updating of the Atlantian Great Book of Law
The Atlantian Great Book of Law must be updated on the Kingdom web site within two weeks of notification of the new law(s) in the Kingdom Newsletter and/or the publication of a Kingdom Newsletter’s electronic addendum. The authoritative version of the Great Book of Law shall be maintained by the Clerk of Law and the Kingdom Seneschal’s Office in PDF format.
1.4 Kingdom Legal Committee
The Kingdom Legal Committee shall consist of three members:
- One of whom is the Clerk of Law, the committee chair, in accordance with section 5.14.3.
- One appointed by the Kingdom Seneschal.
- One appointed by the Crown. The member appointed by the Crown must be a member of a Peerage.
- The Kingdom Legal Committee shall convene at least twice a year to review any changes to Corpora, Society Policy, Kingdom Law, and Kingdom Policy to identify and review any possible conflicts. As a minimum, the committee shall meet in the 60 days prior to each Coronation.
- The Kingdom Legal Committee shall provide recommendations for changes to Kingdom Law or Policy at least 30 days prior to Coronation to the King-dom Seneschal, the Crown, and any Great Officer whose policies are affected.
- The initial term of office is hereby defined as three (3) years. Other than the Clerk of Law, whose tenure is defined by section 5.5, subsequent renewal terms for other Legal Committee members are two (2) years. Members who wish to serve an additional term may request it. The request must be approved by the Kingdom Seneschal, the Crown, and the other Committee members.
- Any member of the Kingdom Legal Committee may be removed with the consent of the Kingdom Seneschal and the Crown.