March 13, 2022
Since announcing on March 6, 2022 that the Kingdom of Atlantia would not be renewing the SCA’s COVIDSafe Policy when it expired at the end of March 12, 2022, and that there would be changes to the Kingdom of Atlantia masking requirements, the Kingdom Seneschal and Crown have read emails and social media posts expressing concerns and asking for reconsideration. The Crown and Seneschal have also received the advice of the Great Officers of State and landed Barons and Baronesses on this issue.
We understand that while many members were pleased by the March 6 announcement, a number were disappointed. We have read and carefully considered your comments and in response have revised the policy.
ATLANTIAN COVID POLICY EFFECTIVE MARCH 13, 2022
I. MODERN PUBLIC HEALTH LAWS
The Kingdom of Atlantia and its officers and branches shall comply with all local, State and Federal laws for the protection of public health, including but not limited to emergency measures by executive order, and rules of the event venue. All participants in official activities and attendees at official events shall similarly comply with local, State and Federal laws and venue rules for the protection of public health while participating in official activities and attending official events.
II. PROOF OF VACCINATION OR NEGATIVE TEST REQUIREMENT REMOVED
The SCA Inc.’s COVIDSafe Policy adopted by the Kingdom of Atlantia expires March 12, 2022. The Kingdom of Atlantia will not renew the COVIDSafe Policy. Effective March 13, 2022, attendees at official events and activities of and in the Kingdom of Atlantia are not required and shall not be asked to provide proof of vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 or a negative test as a prerequisite for attending official events or activities, nor are they required to present such proof in order to participate in activities while attending an official event or participating in activities at the event. The SCA health notice shall be posted at every official event and activity.
III. PREREGISTRATION NOT REQUIRED
Preregistration for all official events or activities as previously stipulated in Atlantian Covid policy is no longer mandatory. However, preregistration is encouraged, and may be required depending on the rules of the venue and needs of the hosting group.
IV. MASKING DURING OFFICIAL ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
A. All attendees at and participants in official events and activities of and in the Kingdom of Atlantia are free to protect the health of themselves and their families by maintaining a safe distance from other attendees, wearing a mask, or by such other measures as seem best to them. The Kingdom of Atlantia, its branches, officers, and volunteers shall not require attendees and participants at official events or activities to wear a mask as a condition of an attendee’s participation and/or attendance, except as set forth here:
1. Mask Requirements at Outdoor Official Events and Activities of the Kingdom of Atlantia
a. Attendees at and participants in official events and activities shall not be required to wear masks at such events and activities or parts thereof that are held and conducted outdoors. This includes, but is not limited to, participation in outdoor courts, archery, all martial activities, bardic circles, thrown weapons, shopping with merchants, etc. subject to specific exceptions set out in Paragraph IV.A.1.b.
b. Attendees may be required to wear a mask when entering certain spaces at an official outdoor event or activity as set forth below:
1. Personal day shade, tent or seating area. Individuals who have erected a day shade or pavilion or established a seating area for themselves and their household, shall control who enters or visits and under what circumstances and may require visitors to mask upon entering the space. The individual controlling such a space may require that all, some or none of the visitors to the space don a mask before entering the space.
2. Pavilions and day shades owned by the Kingdom of Atlantia and its branches are not private spaces for purposes of this policy. Attempts to convert public spaces (e.g., pavilions owned by the Kingdom or branches thereof) to private spaces by lending or leasing may subject those involved to sanction.
3. Check in and consulting tables for official events and activities. Many SCA activities require volunteer officers to check in attendees, check waivers, check authorizations, prepare list trees, record participation, and consult about heraldic submissions. Volunteers engaged in serving attendees in these circumstances may require participants to wear a mask during the process.
4. Armor inspections. In cases where the inspection of armor and gear per safety rules for a martial activity requires an officer to come within six feet of a participant in an official activity, the marshal or other officer may require the participant to wear a mask during the inspection.
5. Vigil tents. A vigil tent is a private place and visitors who wish to visit and speak to the candidate shall wear a mask if requested by the candidate or their designated representative.
6. Merchant tents. Merchants at official events and activities in the Kingdom of Atlantia may require shoppers to mask before entering the merchant’s tent.
2. Mask Requirements at Indoor Official Events and Activities of the Kingdom of Atlantia
a. Attendees at and participants in official events and activities shall not be required to wear masks at such events and activities or parts thereof that are held and conducted indoors. This includes but is not limited to attending and participating in court, order meetings, feasts, displays of arts and sciences, etc. subject to specific exceptions set out in Paragraphs IV.A.2.b, IV.B.1, and IV.C.3.
b. Attendees may be required to wear a mask when entering and remaining in certain indoor spaces and while participating in certain indoor activities as set forth below:
1. Check in and consultation tables. Attendees checking in to indoor official events and activities may be required to wear a mask during the process of checking in, signing waivers and receiving site information. Attendees consulting heralds with regard to submissions may be required to wear a mask during consultations.
2. Classes in the arts and sciences. An instructor of a class at an indoor official activity including but not limited to, University, KASF, collegia sponsored by the Kingdom or local branches, may require all students in the classroom to wear a mask for the duration of the class at the discretion of the individual instructor.
3. Bardic performance. Where bardic performance is held at an indoor official event in an enclosed space such as a classroom, the organizer or sponsor may require that performers and/or audience members wear a mask for the duration of the performance(s).
4. Vigil spaces. Visitors to a vigil at an indoor official event may be required to wear a mask at the discretion of the candidate or their designated representative.
5. Marshals conducting armor inspections may require fighters to wear a mask during the inspection.
B. Official Business meetings for Baronies, Shires, Cantons, and Colleges.
1. The Seneschal of the group may require that all attendees wear masks at official business meetings held indoors.
2. The Seneschal of the group shall establish and publish a means by which officers of the group required to participate in the business meeting may participate remotely. The method chosen by the Seneschal to allow remote participation shall be one to which the group’s officers have access and are comfortable using.
3. The Seneschal of the group shall establish and publish a means by which members of the group may attend and participate in the official business meeting remotely.
C. Attendance and Participation at Courts at Official Events. Attendees at Court are encouraged to protect themselves as they see fit by wearing a mask and/or maintaining social distance. The Crown of Atlantia has a duty to recognize the achievements and works of the populace and to that end shall adhere to the following Court policy:
1. Individuals who are comfortable with having contact with the Crown will receive their medallion, scroll, and other applicable regalia in the traditional manner as best suits the Crown.
2. Individuals who do not wish to come into close contact with the Crown, may so indicate when they are called into court by (after paying their respects) remaining standing at a distance of six feet and informing the Crown that they are uncomfortable with close contact. In such cases, the Crown will display the scroll, medallion, and/or other regalia, and then hand those to a retainer who will place them on a table from which the recipient may claim them after Court.
3. Barons and/or Baronesses may require attendees at indoor Baronial Courts to wear masks in order to enter their courts.
V. LOCAL ADHERENCE TO KINGDOM POLICY AND MODERN LAW
All Officers of the Kingdom of Atlantia and its Baronies, Shires, Cantons, and Colleges shall adhere to the Kingdom policy set forth herein insofar as it is consistent with modern law, and where there is a conflict, shall comply with local, State and Federal law and rules of the venue. Public health measures may be changed as circumstances dictate and different restrictions may apply in localities and regions covered by the Kingdom of Atlantia.
The Atlantian Kingdom Seneschal shall be responsible for implementation and enforcement of this policy, subject to direction from the Society Seneschal and the Directors of the SCA, Inc.
VI. REVIEW OF POLICY
This Policy becomes effective March 13, 2022 and shall be reviewed monthly by the Kingdom Seneschal and Crown thereafter unless more frequent review is required to respond to changes in circumstances.
Done this 12th day of March 2022.
TRM Eckehard and Jane, Crown of Atlantia
TRH Cuan and Adelhait
Duchess Simone, Kingdom Seneschal
Baron Jean Claude, Deputy KS