Battle on the Bay
(2023-08-25 - 2023-08-27 - Site opens at 5 PM & Closes at 12 PM)
Naval battles have occurred throughout time and in all major water bodies. Come to the 2023 Battle on the Bay and explore different maritime-themed battle scenarios in both marshal, and arts and sciences related activities.
We welcome you to the 2023 Battle on the Bay. For those arriving on Friday, the Pale Horse Tavern will be open on Friday night at around 8 PM. It will offer sustenance to travelers to our fine event. There will be camaraderie around the encampments.
On Saturday, we will kick off an amazing day with fighting, archery, equestrian, classes, and more. A feast will follow the afternoon court. Feast will probably sell out, so pre-registration is advised.
Sunday is the day to pack out. We look forward to seeing you at a future event.
|Martial Activities||There will be Archery, Armored, Combat Archery, Equestrian, Rapier, Thrown Weapons, and Youth activities. Please reach out to Dame Dealla Cohen for more information (email@example.com).
Greetings from the Armored Marshal in Charge! We have many scenarios planned - with nautical/island themed battles including combat archery. Inspections will start at 10 a.m. with authorizations at 10:30.
Rapier: This year’s rapier activities are broken up into three areas. First, there will be a ‘Students’ tourney open to anyone that does not have a fencing GoA award or a MoD. This will be single elimination. After that will be water-themed 5-person team scenario battles. The day will round out with large-scale melee, again water themed.
Equestrian will have a water themed challenge and a water battle. Also the equines and their humans will be doing a meet and greet around lunch, treats will be provided. Throughout the day we will also have a populace vote for things like favorite equine. Please come join us!
Thrown Weapons we have an exciting day of thrown weapons. This is a great activity for newcomers and experienced folks. From 12:30 to 2:30, we will have a sink that ship tournament/game.
|Arts & Sciences:||A&S Competitions
1. Join the Navy! Join either the Lochmere or Storvik navies with your best depiction of a ship (or group of ships). Each individual entry is worth a point. Youth! You can turn the tide! Each youth entry is worth two points. Your ship depiction can be anything. Please include at least minimum documentation. If edible, please include a list of ingredients and enough bite size portions for the populace to sample and a reserve for the Baronage (be aware that the Baronage have allergies and dietary restrictions). Each Baronage will then choose their flagship from the entries on their side.
2. Tacking! Calling all bakers! Bake your best and tastiest hardtack to feed a Navy! Provide a list of ingredients and enough bite size portions for the populace to sample as the Navy (populace) will choose the hardtack they will eat on a long journey.
Classes Classes at no extra charge, some classes might have a small fee for materials.
Bardic: Start with your best maritime song, story, or poem. This will be a fun, low stakes pick/pass/play around the circle.
Dancing: Come and join friends in some whirls around the deck.
Interactive Fun: Help Nessie keep the Kraken at bay! An interactive subtly includes a ring toss competition with a tasty treat as a prize.Start with a brief lesson on subtleties then form teams to keep the Kraken at bay!
Teams should consist of at least 3 people AND each team MUST have at least one person under the age of 18 who can compete on multiple teams. Adults are asked to compete on only one team. Fastest time roping the tentacles wins in a head-to-head challenge. Practice time is available before the competition starts if one wants to try it out.
Stay tuned for more maritime learning and fun!
Any questions, please contact the A&S Coordinator, Lady Eilionora inghean an Bhaird, at daughterofthebardATgmailDOTcom
|Feast:||Lady Alcia of Cambion will be providing a delicious feast. Pre-registration is encouraged to save your spot. Please reach out to her if you have dietary restrictions.
|Merchanting/ Field Space Reservation:||
We welcome merchants at no additional charge. Please reach out to Sam Octavian at firstname.lastname@example.org for merchanting.
Please fill out this form for field space reservations (baronial (other group), household, merchants, other)
|Accessibility Information:||This site is composed of grassy field space, gravel, and very limited paved spaces. Buildings (pavilion, flushing restrooms, and barn) are wheelchair accessible. Camping is predominantly primitive without electricity hookups. There will be handicap parking available.|
|Make Checks Payable To:||SCA, Inc., Barony of Storvik|
Payment Method 1 – Electronic Payment:
1. Go to SCA.org
2. Log on to your account*
3. Select Event Registration
4. Select 2023 Battle on the Bay
5. Put in the total number of tickets. Include any family members in the total.
6. Select other family members, if needed.
7. Select feast or camping, if needed.
8. Select your payment method and receipt.
*If you are new to the SCA or don’t have an account, you can request a user name and set your password.
Payment Method 2 – Mail a check to The Reservationist Registrations should be sent to the Reservationist, Mistress Tirzah MacCrudden. See below for address.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Please send all refund requests in writing (including e-mail) to the Event Steward and reservationist no later than 5 days after the event.
1. Refund requests made before the event will be honored.
2. Requests made after the event will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Event Steward and the Exchequer
|Site:||Patuxent River Park (aka Croom Park) Upper Marlboro, MD 20772 Put "Patuxent River Park Pavilion" into your GPS|
* Pets must be on a leash at all times. Please clean up after your pet.
* Fires in site"s fire-rings or fire bowls only.
* Alcohol is allowed; please use period containers.
* Please separate trash and recycling and dispose of it in the dumpster and recycling bins.
* No RVs or travel trailers.
|Event Steward:||Lady Sonya Flicker called Patches (Sonya Gross), Phone: (301) 9281136, E-mail: email@example.com|
|Reservations:||Mistress Tirzah MacCrudden (Evelyn Brady), 17107 Livingston Rd., Accokeek, MD 20607, Phone: () , E-mail: Lltirzah@gmail.com|